Maps and a few other bits

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
MacDiver
Dive Computer: Vyper

Maps and a few other bits

Post by MacDiver »

Nick,
First off, thanks for everything in MacDive. I've been using versions of MacDive for some time now and it's made my logging so much easier.

A couple of points on the 'Sites Map':

1. Is it possible to cache some level of mapping? It's would be great so that site locations
could be shown to others without being online.

2. (and i appreciate this is VERY minor ;) ) On the map, could the handle (location reference) on the dive flag
icon be moved to the bottom of the pin? This would mean that at all levels of zoom,
the pin would be accurate. At the moment, as you zoom out, the pin location appears
to get less and less accurate.

I agree with one of the other posts about the option to 'time-shift' either the camera or dive computer time to allow better photo synching - there are some of us with a lot of photos on a lot of dives here :oops:

Is there an possible option to have default dive settings - the need to enter your own name, that of your buddy and any other common details like dive-boat every time could then be negated, obviously still with the option to edit.

Thanks for the Cert Card feature - could the drop-downs for Qualification Type be driven by the Issuing Agency - e.g. if i select BSAC as my agency, the Qualification list features only those of BSAC?

All minor stuff, i know, but thanks for listening and all of your hard work over the years,

Chris.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Maps and a few other bits

Post by nick »

MacDiver wrote: 1. Is it possible to cache some level of mapping? It's would be great so that site locations
could be shown to others without being online.
It's using google maps, and there's no easy way to do that through the API as far as I'm aware. I'm also not sure about whether that's allowed under their terms of service.
2. (and i appreciate this is VERY minor ;) ) On the map, could the handle (location reference) on the dive flag
icon be moved to the bottom of the pin? This would mean that at all levels of zoom,
the pin would be accurate. At the moment, as you zoom out, the pin location appears
to get less and less accurate.
Hmm, I can look at that. It's supposed to be the bottom left, where the handle is.
I agree with one of the other posts about the option to 'time-shift' either the camera or dive computer time to allow better photo synching - there are some of us with a lot of photos on a lot of dives here :oops:
The best way currently is to make sure your computer/camera are in sync when you dive. The second best way is to get familiar with ExifTool :) ExifTool is actually really good, it's very flexible and can very quickly and easily add or subtract units of time to the dates of a bunch of files.

But it seems to be a common request. I'll have a think about whether there's a nice way to integrate something into the GUI, but I can't promise you a quick solution.
Is there an possible option to have default dive settings - the need to enter your own name, that of your buddy and any other common details like dive-boat every time could then be negated, obviously still with the option to edit.
You don't need to enter your own name currently. If you edit the Owner of the dive computer, that's what will get used (though there is actually a bug in 2.0.3 where this will not work :(). It is fixed in the next patch.

As for the rest, I'll have a think and again see if there's a nice way to integrate something like this.
Thanks for the Cert Card feature - could the drop-downs for Qualification Type be driven by the Issuing Agency - e.g. if i select BSAC as my agency, the Qualification list features only those of BSAC?
Sure, that seems like a pretty logical suggestion. I'll see if I can find a nice list of agencies/qualifications somewhere and tidy that all up.
D-Zyl
Dive Computer: Suunto D9

Post by D-Zyl »

Hi Nick,

I'm new in diving and I just tried MacDive 2 and it's really a good software, thanks a lot.
MacDiver wrote: Thanks for the Cert Card feature - could the drop-downs for Qualification Type be driven by the Issuing Agency - e.g. if i select BSAC as my agency, the Qualification list features only those of BSAC?
Just another request about the new Certification feature: Is it possible to add few issuing agencies ?
The one I'm talking about are: The common web site is http://www.tdisdi.com

NB: SDI certifies Open Water and Advanced Open Water, Rescue, Dive Master, Master Scuba Diver, etc...

And would it make sense to add qualifications to the Certification feature (like Nitrox, Wreck diver, Underwater photographer, etc) ?

Cheers !
[Florebo Quocumque Ferar]
D-Zyl
Dive Computer: Suunto D9

Post by D-Zyl »

nick wrote:
Sure, that seems like a pretty logical suggestion. I'll see if I can find a nice list of agencies/qualifications somewhere and tidy that all up.
Hi Nick,

Did you find the list of agencies ?
It would be nice to have also CMAS, SDI and TDI in the agencies.

Regards,
[Florebo Quocumque Ferar]
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Ah, sorry - I forgot to go through and add these. Will get on to it.