Flag Issue

Problems ? Get help here!
invasion_1
Dive Computer: HelO2,Gekko

Flag Issue

Post by invasion_1 »

Hello, wondering why for some reason some of the flags don't show up for certain countries. IE. Russia ?

Thanks.
invasion_1
Dive Computer: HelO2,Gekko

Re: Flag Issue

Post by invasion_1 »

Ha ! I guess I should make an attempt at answering my own questions first....

For anyone with a similar issue, check spelling and/or proper name of country. IE. Russian Federation makes the flag appear for me on re-launch of program.

Thanks for a WONDERFUL update to an already spectacular program.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Yeah there are a lot of countries -

You can also open the package contents of MacDive itself and rename the flag if you really want to, but keep in mind any updates to MacDive will break that.

I may actually have to include a "user flags" option somewhere to add your own. If you find something like this though, let me know - I can add a copy of the flag in cases where it makes sense to fix this for you.

Leave me a note with the exact spellings etc that you want, and what's there, and I'll take a look for the next update.

Edit: "russia" included for the next patch.

If anyone else notices any naming issues like this, please drop me a note here or fire me an email. Easy to fix :)

As a side note, you don't have to have capitilisation the same - just the actual spelling.
seahermit
Dive Computer: Suunto Stinger

Post by seahermit »

I had a similar problem with dives in the UK - I tried UK, United Kingdom, England and Great Britain with no luck, so started poking around in the Resources folder - and found the flags, so "Great Britain (UK)" works!

Any chance in the future we could get an Alias for "UK"? (Either that or just "Great Britain") I've just copied the existing one to flag_uk.png at the moment, and that works fine :)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Done!

Added "uk".

Again all of these will be available in the next patch.. you can rename them manually for now as seahermit did and it should just work post-patch.
pmareschal
Dive Computer: Suunto Vytec

Post by pmareschal »

I think that using country name will be difficult, as they are localized:
Belgium (English), Belgique (French), Belgïe (Dutch), Belgica (Spanish)...
So for flags, why not use the ISO 2 (or 3) letter country code (BE for Belgium), and somehow ask for the iso country code when entering a country. Flag would be flag_be.png.
/p
LukyLuke
Dive Computer: soon a new one...

Post by LukyLuke »

Hi, Same issue

Netherland Antilles or Nederland Antillen, booth spellings are ok, no flags

And strange think is that it locates it perfectly in the Sites Map screen :shock:

I guess User flags will be the fastest and easiest way or you'll get exotic questions quite offen :mrgreen:

Would be cool to be able to edit the country name for several sites as well :idea:

Great work, Tx for this major version
Kevin Poirier
Dive Computer: Aeris T3

Post by Kevin Poirier »

U.S.A. also doesn't show the flag
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Try "USA" or "US". You can look in the flag directory as described to see what it currently is.

Perhaps a better way to do this is to keep the flags as they are, but to keep an internal map to translate between various spellings/differences. That way it would be easier to localise, without also requiring that you enter a country code.
pmareschal
Dive Computer: Suunto Vytec

Post by pmareschal »

Somehow, at some point, there must be a mapping between whatever is display (country names in different localized languages) and a file name. Suggestions:
Just one file with lines like this:

file_name: comma-separated list of valid names for flag

example:

flag_usa.png: US, USA, U.S.A., United States, Etats-Unis, Verinige Staten
flag_belgium.png: Belgium, Belgique, Belgïe, Belgica
flag_uk.png: UK, United Kingdom, GB, Great Britain, Royaume-Uni, Angleterre, Iles Britaniques

Keep this file in Library/Application Support/Mac Dive/flags.txt, so that if a diver wants a special label for a country, he just add it there next to the file name.

Just another suggestion.

(BTW: Import no problem with Suunto Cobra, Mosquito, Vytec after installation, OSX 10.6.4, official suunto USB adapter, FTDI USB drivers. Imported dives from 1.5.3, extensive normalisation but I survived it.)